Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Critical Appraisal Worksheets
Critical Appraisal Worksheets:
- Worksheets from the Centre for Evidence Based Medicine in Oxford
- Worksheets from the Centre for Evidence Based Medicine in Toronto
The decision criteria and process must be decided before the review begins. The review of the search results is usually conducted in two phases:
- Review title/abstract
- Review full-text
At least two independent reviewers are needed, with a third person available to resolve conflicts.
Keep a log of excluded studies with reasons for exclusion. Simple Excel spreadsheets can be designed to track the process.
Covidence Sreening and Extracting Tool
Covidence is a web-based tool that helps you with the systematic review process by enabling you to wor with a team to screen title/abstracts and full text for inclusion in your review, as well as extract data from included studies.
Other Screening and Extraction Tools
From Brown University. Helps you upload, organize and screen the results of a literature search for a systematic review. Register for free.
Free machine-learning-assisted tool to partially automate screening and data extraction.
Free screening resource from Qatar Computing Research Institute.
SRDR+ (Systematic Review Data Repository Plus)
Free resource from AHRQ and Brown University for extracting and archiving study data.
Uses machine learning to assist in collaborative data extraction. The free platform supports open access/public projects only.
For Cochrane reviews
Data Extraction & Quality Assessment
For studies selected for inclusion:
- What data will be extracted?
- What software will be used?
- What are the procedures for extraction
- Number of reviewers
- Dispute resolution process
- Will authors be contacted for further data?
- What is the translation process?
What criteria will be used for the quality assessment of the included studies? What process will be followed for the quality assessment?
- Number of reviewers
- Dispute resolution
How will the quality assessment be used in analysis?
Data Analysis and Synthesis
Things to consider:
- Meta-analysis and/or narrative analysis?
- Measures of heterogeneity
- Outcomes of interest
- Effect measures to be used
- Subgroup analysis plans
- Publication bias analysis
For qualitative data:
- ATLAS.ti to code and analyze blocks of text/audio files (fee based)