There are a number of ways to build your Mendeley library.
In each case, Mendeley will extract citation information from the documents and build your citation library for you.
Mendeley's Web Importer uses your PubMed search results to create an Import documents to Mendeley list. A single click on each of the references you want from the list adds them to My Library on Mendeley Web. Then, sync Mendeley Desktop with Mendeley Web so that the new references appear there as well.
1. Install the Web Importer on the browser of your choice. This will then appear as an Import to Mendeley button in the toolbar or bookmarks list you choose for it. While installing the Web Importer, take a moment to adjust browser popup settings, too, as directed. It is easier to work with the Import documents to Mendeley list if it appears as a new popup window over the PubMed results rather than replacing them in the old window.
2. Do your PubMed search and inspect the results to decide which references you want. Mendeley will disregard any checkmarks you add to PubMed, so isolate your desired references as follows:
3. Mendeley formats your references in the Import documents to Mendeley list. For a single reference, click on the green Save to Library button. For multiple references, click on the green "+" dot next to each reference to add to your library.
4. In My Library on Mendeley Web, click on Recently Added to display the new PubMed references.
5. Sync Mendeley Desktop with Mendeley Web, and the new references will appear in Recently Added there as well.